Liberal views are the opposite of conservative views; the Democratic political party is known for having a liberal view on political issues and the Republican political party has a conservative viewpoint.
• The liberal views tend to follow a philosophy of helping the poor and middle class try to achieve some economic success by carrying out government programs. When it comes to governmental involvement in individual’s live, the liberal view is that it is the government’s job to protect human rights, social justice, and civil liberties.
• When it comes to hot-button issues like abortion, liberal views are that a woman should have the right to choose whether or not to see a pregnancy to full-term. This is also called being pro-choice. Conservatives believe that abortion should be illegal, although some conservatives believe in abortion involving cases such as rape or incest.
• In terms of taxes, the liberal view is that the upper class should bear the brunt of paying the most while the poor and middle class should get tax breaks. The liberal view actually believes that tax increases benefit everyone. This is in direct contrast to the conservative viewpoint of keeping taxes low. Following this, liberal views are that the government has an obligation to protect the individual and small business owners from big businesses.
• The liberal views of the death penalty and gun control issues follow the same Democratic lines of a quest for a decrease in general violence. The liberal view of the death penalty is that it should be abolished; liberal views consider it to be cruel and unusual punishment. Regarding gun control, liberal views are that the United States must enforce gun law regulations strictly.
• When it comes to the long-standing issue of health care in the United States, liberal views support an universal government supervised health care program. There are currently millions of Americans that do not have health care. The liberal view on health care is that it is a basic right that every individual is entitled to, not a privilege.
• The political issue of gay marriage is one of the most complicated. Liberal views tend to lean toward giving gays and lesbians the right to marry while conservative views are vehemently against this. However, due to fear of public rebuttal, presidential candidates, even liberal Democrats, tend to shy away from the issue. True liberal views do support gay marriage.
While liberal views tend to be popular with younger generations and the Democratic Party has more registered voters than any other political party in the world, it has not stopped many conservative Republicans from being elected into office. Many people consider liberal views to be progressive.